Monday 5 May 2008

At last I'm getting somewhere!






Well this is how it looked yesterday. I have put two wigwams up so far, and planted mange-tout and sweet peas. The rhubarb behind is doing well and I've made some scrummy rhubarb crumble cake with it!


In the front of the picture are my broad beans - there are more in another bed as well - about 40 plants altogether so we should get a decent crop. They are not flowering yet but I forgot to do them in the autumn so they are a bit further behind than other peoples.

The potatoes are all showing through now and I earthed them up yesterday.



Here are my baby purple sprouting brocolli plants! I have been really pleased with what I grew last year that I am doing the same again. I also sowed a row of turnips in front of the PSB.


Behind the 'brassica cage' you might be able to see my 3 blueberry bushes - they were only planted late last summer so I don't know whether I'll get many blueberries or not this year but they are flowering well. The canes are there to put net over when I get around to it!

Under the small tunnel are a dozen spinach plants and in the other side of the bed I have sown some beetroot.
The carrots that I sowed under fleece in March are coming on really well - but the dreaded marestail is loving the cosy fleece as well and is sprouting up all over the place - got to keep on top of it this year!
Today we have rain so staying at home sowing seeds and potting on !!!

No comments: